Senior Engineering Manager - Mobile
Memrise gives people learning superpowers. We aim to help anyone achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few short months. Our product is innovative and fun, and it delivers the goods.
Last year, we won the "App of the Year 2017" at the Google Play Awards. With near zero marketing spend we’ve grown organically to tens of millions of users, and we’re already profitable with a team of around 70, from over 30 different nationalities!
With ever increasing traction and a plan to double the engineering team in the next 10 months we are looking for an Engineering Manager to help us build a strong team to scale our continuous integration, automation and infrastructure to support our customers and improve the productivity of engineers across the organisation. This position is a multiplier, leadership role that will be a significant factor in building a strong, productive Engineering Team.
As the Senior Engineering Manager of the Mobile department, your mission is to build the best mobile engineering team in London. You will have deep technical understanding combined with great business acumen. You will understand engineers and support their growth, letting them stand out for their achievements and encouraging them to excel.
Joining the Memrise family in the role of Engineering Manager, you'll be offered the opportunity to support iOS and Android Engineers at Memrise by providing a world-class infrastructure for running, testing, deploying and monitoring mobile applications at scale; optimising for speed and reliability.
You must have:
- Very strong team-building experience and philosophy - you know how to make a great team out of a great bunch of individuals.
- Experience as a Senior iOS or Senior Android Engineer
- Have worked on large scale, consuming facing mobile apps in a fast-paced environment
- Strong product and business thinking
- Experience scoping and running large technical projects
- Experience hiring and line-managing other managers
- Broad technical knowledge across platforms and comfortable managing engineers with different skill sets from your own.
- Excellent communicator. Drives communication between product and technical leadership at management level.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Leadership and strategy
- Lead your teams by setting unambiguous, ambitious goals.
- Participate in mid to long term strategic planning and delivery of our technical and product roadmap.
- Decide on the overall approach to cross platform issues like security, privacy, scalability.
- Advocate practices, processes, and events which will enhance Engineering at Memrise.
- Represent technology across the business and clearly explains the benefits and tradeoffs of technical projects.
- Delivery and process
- Participate in tactical planning of key quarterly projects and setting OKRs.
- Help define process around people, for example: growth framework, review process (including compensation), on-boarding and off-boarding.
- Help define release process, making them stress-free, frequent and automated.
- Align teams across multiple platforms and technical disciplines and helps define processes which improve team development.
- Hiring and promoting
- Identify and define a plan to fill technical gaps in the team by either growing and promoting from within or identifying where we need to hire new talent.
- Responsible for hiring the best people, from outreach and designing the interview process to conducting thorough probation period and performance reviews.
- Management and coaching
- Lead their direct reports by setting unambiguous, ambitious goals.
- Responsible for the performance of those who report to them, including quality and timeliness of work.
- Support direct reports developing their mid to long-term career plans, including regular check-ins and performance reviews and the opportunity to work on projects that will help them grow.
- Responsible for training, compensation, etc for direct reports.
- Technical skills
- Remains technically familiar with Memrise systems, performing code reviews, triaging and offering their technical expertise where required, but does not write code every day.
Healthcare and pension, with a number of discounts and cashback on important stuff like Gym membership, opticians and dentists' fees. Fresh fruit, coffee and soft drinks. We keep you fuelled with a wide ever-changing variety of healthy and unhealthy snacks, tea, coffee and soft drinks, breakfast materials and weekly team language lunches and lessons. We have frequent team expeditions, the last one being to being a trip to Iceland for a Polyglot Conference and general exploring! We run a cycle to work scheme and a selection of useful perks and benefits.
You'll get to work with the people in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wORv8J1n0y8
Salary: £90,000 onwards + benefits