Software Engineer - Web
Memrise gives people learning superpowers. We aim to help anyone achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few short months. Last year, we won the "App of the Year 2017" at the Google Play Awards. With near zero marketing spend we’ve grown organically to tens of millions of users, and we’re already profitable with a team of well over 65 (22+ nationalities).
We’re now looking to build up our team to take Memrise to the next level. The goal in the coming years is to become the dominant product and pre-eminent brand in global language learning.
To further this, we are looking for Software Engineers (salary: starting from £55,000, depending on experience + benefits) to work on our language learning web application. We are creating a new team to build a world class web app that matches the quality of our very popular, award winning mobile apps.
Our front-end uses ES6, React and Redux, with Jest and Puppeteer for tests. We’re fans of Redux Sagas, Typescript, Reactive programming, keeping it simple, and being open minded about new ideas and new technologies.Our backend runs on AWS using the latest version of Python 3, using Django and the Django REST Framework. We practice Continuous Delivery, love to automate everything, and make heavy use of Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, Redis, Redshift, and Lambda.(there is time to go over if needed)
- Create awesome new features that help millions of users learn and fall in love with a language.
- Work in a cross-functional team with other creative engineers, learning specialists, designers and data scientists.
- Design, build and maintain services, APIs, and the web frontend of the memrise learning system.
- Help continuously improve the quality and design of our systems and processes.
You might be a good fit if you:
- Think deeply about the product you work on, and like to contribute your own ideas to it.
- Love web development - getting into the nitty gritty of web standards, the DOM, REST, HTTP, and all the latest web frameworks.
- Have a flair for design - you love working with designers, but you can create beautiful things without one.
- Are comfortable working across the stack, in Python and other languages if required.
- Can quickly put new things together in existing systems, even if they are unfamiliar.
- Thrive in dynamic, collaborative environments, without a lot of process and procedure holding you back.
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’.
And we're at least as interested in character as in talent.
What’s it like being an engineer at Memrise?
Memrise Engineers are creative generalists that work autonomously in product-oriented cross-functional teams. The engineering team is small and dynamic, with an emphasis on ownership, impact and people over processes. We run hackathons every six weeks; some of our prominent features were originally creative hacks.
We have challenging scalability problems to work on, with millions of users per day; machine learning powering real-world, user facing features; big data to process and feed into our adaptive learning algorithms; and smooth, refined user interfaces to build that our users will adore.
Healthcare and pension, with a number of discounts and cashback on important stuff like Gym membership, opticians and dentists' fees. Fresh fruit, coffee and soft drinks. We keep you fuelled with a wide ever-changing variety of healthy and unhealthy snacks, tea, coffee and soft drinks, breakfast materials and weekly team language lunches and lessons. We have frequent team expeditions, the last one being to being a trip to Iceland for a Polyglot Conference and general exploring! We run a cycle to work scheme and a selection of useful perks and benefits. You'll get to work with the people in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wORv8J1n0y8
Salary: £55,000 onwards + benefits