Software Engineer - Learning
Memrise gives people learning superpowers. We aim to help anyone achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few short months. Last year, we won the "App of the Year 2017" at the Google Play Awards. With near zero marketing spend we’ve grown organically to tens of millions of users, and we’re already profitable with a team of around 70, speaking over 40 languages!
We’re now looking to build out our team to take Memrise to the next level. The goal in the coming years is to become the dominant product and pre-eminent brand in global language learning.
To further this, we are looking for a Software Engineer to work on one of our Learning Squads. Our learning squads are collaborative, innovative and small. Together, they test new ideas, launch and optimise new features and adapt algorithms that strive to give our users confidence in their language skills.
On our platform we use (among other things), Python 3, Django, Redis, Redshift, Lambda, and Kubernetes; the frontend is ES6 written in jQuery and React/Redux. Experience with any of these is a bonus, but we’re really looking for smart people that are effective with any technology.
- Create awesome new features that help millions of users learn and fall in love with a language.
- Work in a cross-functional team with other creative engineers, learning specialists, designers and data scientists.
- Design, build and maintain services, APIs, and the web frontend of the memrise learning system.
- Help continuously improve the quality and design of our systems and processes.
- Like being a generalist, owning systems in production, and working across the stack and even across platforms - whatever it takes to make our product even more awesome.
- Love the web - getting into the nitty gritty of web standards, the DOM, REST, HTTP, and all the latest web frameworks.
- Think deeply about the product you work on, and like to contribute your own ideas to it.
- Have a passion for learning languages and/or an interest in linguistics and NLP.
- Can quickly put new things together in existing systems, even if they are unfamiliar.
- Place a high value on attention to detail and getting things right the first time.
- Thrive in dynamic, collaborative environments, without a lot of process and procedure holding you back.
- Like the idea of working closely with an extremely diverse bunch of people from many different countries and cultures, speaking many different languages.
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’.
And we're at least as interested in character as in talent.
What’s it like being an Engineer at Memrise?
Memrise Engineers are creative generalists that work autonomously in product-oriented cross-functional teams. The Engineering team is small and dynamic, with an emphasis on ownership, impact and people over processes. We run hackathons every six weeks; some of our prominent features were originally creative hacks.
We have challenging scalability problems to work on, with millions of users per day; machine learning powering real-world, user facing features; big data to process and feed into our adaptive learning algorithms; and smooth, refined user interfaces to build that our users will adore.
Healthcare and pension, with a number of discounts and cashback on important stuff like Gym membership, opticians and dentists' fees. Fresh fruit, coffee and soft drinks. We keep you fuelled with a wide ever-changing variety of healthy and unhealthy snacks, tea, coffee and soft drinks, breakfast materials and weekly team language lunches and lessons. We have frequent team expeditions, the last one being to being a trip to Iceland for a Polyglot Conference and general exploring! We run a cycle to work scheme and a selection of useful perks and benefits.
You'll get to work with the people in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wORv8J1n0y8
Closing date: 30th May 2018