Data Analyst - Web
Memrise gives people learning superpowers. We aim to help anyone achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few short months. Last year, we won the "App of the Year 2017" at the Google Play Awards. We’re already profitable with a team of nearly 80, speaking over 40 languages.
We recently secured Series B funding and have ambitious plans for the future. From growing our user base, to improving our product, there is a lot of work to do to take Memrise to the next level. The goal in the coming years is to become the dominant product and pre-eminent brand in global language learning.
We've recently launched a new web squad so we can bring our web product to the award winning levels of our mobile app and we're looking for a Data Analyst to join the squad. Your mission is to analyse data from various sources to generate ideas, insights and reports that will drive Memrise’s product decisions for our web platform, and ensure statistically sound methods are being used. Your work will impact millions of people and help them learn a new language.Memrise Data Analysts work in cross-functional squads focused on a specific aspects of the product. They collaborate with people who have different skill sets. Each squad has a Product Manager, a Designer, mobile and web developers and QA. Our squads are collaborative, innovative and small. Together, they test new ideas, launch and optimise new features and strive to give our users confidence in their language skills. In this role you'll be the only Data Analyst in your squad, which gives you the opportunity to have a huge impact on their work, and a complete understanding of the problems they are solving. The data team is small and dynamic, with an emphasis on ownership, impact and people over processes. They work with Amazon Redshift, Looker, Segment and Jupyter Notebooks (among other things). Experience with any of these is a bonus, but we’re really looking for smart people that are effective with any technology.
Key Responsibilities & Reporting:
- Analyse and visualise language learning and engagement data, and generate insights leading to data informed product decisions
- Work closely with Product Managers to agree on key metrics and feature evaluation methods
- Help to design and later evaluate the outcomes of experiments with our learning modes and algorithms
- Perform exploratory analysis to identify areas for improvements within the Memrise app/website
- Develop hypotheses, work independently on testing them and share insights in a clear and compelling manner
- Troubleshooting any gaps, inconsistencies and discrepancies in data to make sure we work with accurate information
- Reports to Data team lead
- Good understanding of app centric metrics (conversions/retention, funnels, user journeys)
- Experience in a similar role
- Strong business acumen and communication skills
- Expert level SQL skills
- Experience working with data analytics and visualisation tool
- Experience working with either Jupyter, R or MatLab, particularly with analytical, visualisation libraries (Pandas, Numpy, Matplotlib/Seaborn)
- Bonus: Knowledge or interest in linguistics/language teaching
- Bonus: Knowledge of statistics
- A fully paid Memrise account, of course
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Quarterly hackathons to experiment new ideas
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day), snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day) and a startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Tax-free childcare scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- 50% off a PureGym membership
- Private health insurance
- Budget for training, conferences and books
- Flexible working options (timewise, plus we have standing desks)
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: team vacations, painting, meditation, yoga, football, dodgeball, running club, board games, and boxing classes.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. If it’s okay, we’re not going to list examples of people and groups we don’t discriminate against. We don’t discriminate, full stop. We celebrate.