Senior iOS Engineer
Memrise gives people learning superpowers. We aim to help anyone achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few short months. Our product is innovative and fun, and it delivers the goods.
We were awarded “Best App of 2017” at Google I/O and featured prominently this year at Apple’s WWDC. We work closely with both Google and Apple and are one of the top go-to developer partners when they launch new features on iOS and Android.
We’re now looking to build out our engineering team to take Memrise to the next level. The goal in the coming years is to become the dominant product and pre-eminent brand in global language learning. Your mission as Senior iOS Engineer will be to build and improve our iOS app, and to help make Memrise the number one learning app in the Apple store.
Memrise engineers are creative generalists who work autonomously in product-oriented cross-functional teams. The engineering team is small and dynamic, with an emphasis on ownership, impact and people over processes. We run hackathons every six weeks; some of our prominent features were originally creative hacks.
We have challenging scalability problems to work on, with millions of users per day; machine learning powering real-world, user facing features; big data to process and feed into our adaptive learning algorithms; and smooth, refined user interfaces to build that our users will adore.
What will you be doing day to day?
- Participating in the ideation of new features, providing valuable insights about best practices and limitations of the iOS platform
- Collaborating with product managers and designers in setting realistic timelines that make business sense
- Writing clean, readable and testable code in Swift
- Maintain and interface with our existing Objective-C code
- Testing your own code and assisting QA in understanding your work
- You'll be proactive about monitoring and fixing bugs
- Reviewing other colleagues’ code and help onboarding new hires
Ideally you will have some or all of the following:
- Experience writing well-tested production code in Swift
- Proven track record of contributing to wider business changes, either in the codebase or process
- Exposure to, and willingness to work with, existing Objective-C code
- Have an eye for detail regarding UI and usability
- Have an awareness of tools and techniques used in delivering high-quality iOS applications
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch nevertheless. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’. And we're above all just as interested in character as in talent!
- A fully paid Memrise account, of course
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Budget for training, conferences and books
- Flexible working options (time-wise, plus we have standing desks)
- Private health insurance
- Quarterly hackathons
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- 50% off a PureGym membership
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: team vacations, painting, meditation, yoga, football, dodgeball, running club, board games, and boxing classes.
Salary: Starting from £70,000 + benefits
Closing date: 21st February 2019
We’re an equal opportunity employer. If it’s okay, we’re not going to list examples of people and groups we don’t discriminate against. We don’t discriminate, full stop. We celebrate.