Mobile Engineering Manager (iOS / Android)
Memrise is an award-winning language learning system which combines cognitive science, entertaining content and advanced tech to empower our millions of users with linguistic confidence in just a few months of learning.
We were awarded “Best App of 2017” at Google I/O and featured prominently this year at Apple’s WWDC. We work closely with both Google and Apple and are one of the top go-to developer partners when they launch new features on iOS and Android.
With ever growing traction, a strong business model and plans to double the engineering team in the next year, we are looking for engineering managers to help build a world-class mobile engineering team across iOS and Android.
This is a position whose impact will be felt throughout the team by enhancing the productivity of all members and is a role that will be crucial to building a strong, productive Engineering Team.
Your mission is to build the best engineering team in mobile. You will have deep technical understanding, combined with strong business acumen. You will understand engineers and support their growth, letting them stand out for their achievements and encouraging them to excel.
By joining the Memrise family as Engineering Manager, you'll have the opportunity to support iOS and Android Engineers at Memrise by providing a world-class infrastructure for running, testing, deploying and monitoring mobile applications at scale, optimising for speed and reliability.
You must have:
- Experience as a Senior iOS or Senior Android Engineer
- Have worked on large scale, consuming facing mobile apps in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical people
- Strong product and business thinking
- Experience scoping and running medium to large technical projects
- Experience line-managing 3 or more engineers
- Comfortable managing engineers with different skill-sets from their own.
- Experience hiring engineers
- Ability to give meaningful, candid, actionable feedback
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Supporting direct reports by helping them grow and achieve their potential, including regular check-ins, goal-setting and performance reviews.
- Actively hiring for the team, from outreach and designing the interview process to conducting thorough probation period and performance reviews.
- Identifying and defining a plan to fill technical gaps in the team by either growing and promoting from within or identifying where we need to hire new talent.
- Providing guidance to engineers stuck on difficult problems, even where such problems fall outside the manager’s own areas of expertise.
- Assisting Product Managers with delivery planning, with a focus on mid- to long- term planning.
- Identifying problem areas and run process changes or technical investment projects to rectify any issues. Remove technical or organisational blockers so engineers can do their best work.
- Helping finesse and refine the release process, making releases stress-free, frequent and automated.
Healthcare and pension, with a number of discounts and cashback on important stuff like Gym membership, opticians and dentists' fees. Fresh fruit, coffee and soft drinks. We keep you fuelled with a wide ever-changing variety of healthy and unhealthy snacks, tea, coffee and soft drinks, breakfast materials and weekly team language lunches and lessons. We have frequent team expeditions, the last one being to being a trip to Iceland for a Polyglot Conference and general exploring! We run a cycle to work scheme and a selection of useful perks and benefits.
You'll get to work with the people in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wORv8J1n0y8