Data Scientist - Learning
Memrise gives people learning superpowers. We aim to help anyone achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few short months; our product is innovative and fun, and it delivers the goods.
Last year, we won the "App of the Year 2017" at the Google Play Awards. With near zero marketing spend we’ve grown organically to tens of millions of users, and we’re already profitable with a team of 56 (comprising 37 nationalities).
We’re now looking to build out our Data team to take Memrise to the next level. The goal in the coming years is to become the dominant product and pre-eminent brand in global language learning.
Your mission will be to drive engagement and learning efficacy through continuous iteration on Memrise’s learning process. You will work with large datasets to identify opportunities and drive product ideas, and evaluate the performance of new features and learning modes using suitable statistical methods. (Salary: £50,000 - £60,000 + benefits).
If you join us, you'll get to:
- Own the data angle in a cross-functional squad responsible for the company’s core product; define all of the squad’s metrics and evaluation methods
- Analyse and visualise structured data, including planning and interpreting experiment results, to help drive business decisions at all levels
- Build dashboards to help the team understand the impact of features
- Perform exploratory investigations using Python, to identify areas for growth and improvements
- Build data culture in the company by introducing statistical concepts
Ideally you'll have some or all of the following:
- Experience in using machine learning algorithms to solve complex problems
- Statistical knowledge
- Good knowledge of Python
- Experience working with large datasets
- Excellent SQL skills
- Ability and willingness to independently work on challenging/open-ended problems
- Methodological, empirical approach
- Strong business acumen and communication skills
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’. And we're at least as interested in character as in talent.
Healthcare and pension, with a number of discounts and cashback on important stuff like Gym membership, opticians and dentists' fees. Fresh fruit, coffee and soft drinks. We keep you fuelled with a wide ever-changing variety of healthy and unhealthy snacks, tea, coffee and soft drinks, breakfast materials and weekly team language lunches and language lessons. We have frequent team expeditions, the last one being to being a trip to Iceland for a Polyglot Conference and general exploring! We run a cycle to work scheme and a selection of useful perks and benefits.
You'll get to work with the people in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wORv8J1n0y8