Senior Software Engineer - Growth
Memrise gives people learning superpowers. We aim to help anyone achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few short months. Our product is innovative and fun, and it delivers the goods.
Last year, we won the "App of the Year 2017" at the Google Play Awards. With near zero marketing spend we’ve grown organically to tens of millions of users, and we’re already profitable with a team of around 70, from over 30 different nationalities!
We’re now looking to build out our team to take Memrise to the next level. The goal in the coming years is to become the dominant product and pre-eminent brand in global language learning.
To further this, we are looking for a Senior Software Engineer. As an Engineer in the Growth team you will have a significant impact on growing our business by working together with mobile and web engineers, product and design people. This is primarily a backend role, but there will be times when front-end work is required to implement internal tools. You will be working on critical billing integrations and pricing systems, internal experiments and marketing tools.
This is a highly responsible role, with an opportunity to own important areas of our system and play a significant role in the technical leadership of our small team. In turn you should be excited by the high level of ownership, responsibility and leadership this entails, plus the opportunity to work on high volume mission critical systems on a popular mass market product.
- Take end-to-end ownership of our payment systems and growth tools.
- Design, build and maintain internal and external features, APIs, and third party integrations.
- Continuously improve the monitoring and observability of our platform.
- Provide technical guidance to engineers in your team and across the organisation.
- Work with other teams to improve the overall quality, scalability, and security of our codebase.
You might be a good fit if you:
- Like being a generalist, owning systems in production, and working across the stack and even across platforms - whatever it takes to make our product even more awesome.
- Have prior experience developing mission critical transactional systems in Python at scale - or some good ideas on how it should be done.
- Are a deep, strategic, technical thinker, always looking to improve systems and processes.
- Enjoy thinking about the business and product, and opportunities that can surface from optimising our payments systems and funnels.
- Can quickly put new things together in existing systems, even if they are unfamiliar.
- Place a high value on attention to detail and getting things right the first time.
- Have an excellent knowledge of modern testing practices.
- Thrive in dynamic, collaborative environments, without a lot of process and procedure holding you back.
- Like the idea of working closely with an extremely diverse bunch of people from many different countries and cultures, speaking many different languages.
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’.
And we're at least as interested in character as in talent.What’s it like being an engineer at memrise?
Memrise engineers are creative generalists that work autonomously in product-oriented cross-functional teams. The engineering team is small and dynamic, with an emphasis on ownership, impact and people over processes. We run hackathons every six weeks; some of our prominent features were originally creative hacks.
We have challenging scalability problems to work on, with millions of users per day; machine learning powering real-world, user facing features; big data to process and feed into our adaptive learning algorithms; and smooth, refined user interfaces to build that our users will adore.
On our platform we use, among other things, Python 3, Django, Redis, Redshift, Lambda, and Kubernetes; the frontend code is ES6 written either with React/Redux or just jQuery.
Healthcare and pension, with a number of discounts and cashback on important stuff like Gym membership, opticians and dentists' fees. Fresh fruit, coffee and soft drinks. We keep you fuelled with a wide ever-changing variety of healthy and unhealthy snacks, tea, coffee and soft drinks, breakfast materials and weekly team language lunches and lessons. We have frequent team expeditions, the last one being to being a trip to Iceland for a Polyglot Conference and general exploring! We run a cycle to work scheme and a selection of useful perks and benefits.
You'll get to work with the people in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wORv8J1n0y8
Closing date: 30th May 2018
Salary: £75,000 onwards + benefits