Software Engineer - Backend
Memrise gives people learning superpowers. We aim to help anyone achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few short months. Our product is innovative and fun, and it delivers the goods.
Last year, we won the "App of the Year 2017" at the Google Play Awards. With near zero marketing spend we’ve grown organically to tens of millions of users, and we’re already profitable with a team of well over 50 (30+ nationalities).
We’re now looking to build out our team to take Memrise to the next level. The goal in the coming years is to become the dominant product and pre-eminent brand in global language learning.
To further this, we are looking for Software Engineers (mid - senior) to work on our backend (Senior: £75,000 upwards + benefits - Mid: £50,000 upwards + benefits).
Our backend runs on AWS using the latest version of Python 3, using Django and the Django REST Framework. We practice Continuous Delivery, love to automate everything, and make heavy use of Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, Redis, Redshift, and Lambda. We’re fans of Domain Driven Design, keeping things as simple as possible, and being open minded about new ideas and new technologies.
- Design, build and maintain internal and external features, APIs, and third party integrations.
- Help scale our systems as our user base grows (we currently have 35 million users).
- Provide technical guidance to engineers in your team and across the organisation.
- Work with other teams to improve the overall quality, scalability, and security of our codebase.
You might be a good fit if you:
- Like being a generalist, owning your systems in production and doing whatever it takes to make our product even more awesome.
- Have prior experience developing mission critical transactional systems in Python at scale - or some good ideas on how it should be done.
- Are a deep, strategic, technical thinker, always looking to improve systems and processes.
- Can quickly put new things together in existing systems, even if they are unfamiliar.
- Thrive in dynamic, collaborative environments, without a lot of process and procedure holding you back.
- Like the idea of working closely with an extremely diverse bunch of people from many different countries and cultures, speaking many different languages.
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’.
And we're at least as interested in character as in talent.
What’s it like being an engineer at Memrise?
Memrise engineers are creative generalists that work autonomously in product-oriented cross-functional teams. The engineering team is small and dynamic, with an emphasis on ownership, impact and people over processes. We run hackathons every six weeks; some of our prominent features were originally creative hacks.
We have challenging scalability problems to work on, with millions of users per day; machine learning powering real-world, user facing features; big data to process and feed into our adaptive learning algorithms; and smooth, refined user interfaces to build that our users will adore.
- A fully paid Memrise account, of course
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Team lunches recklessly often
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Tax-free childcare scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- 50% off a PureGym membership
- Private health insurance
- Budget for training, conferences and books
- Flexible working options (timewise, plus we have standing desks)
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: team vacations, painting, meditation, yoga, football, dodgeball, running club, board games, and boxing classes.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. If it’s okay, we’re not going to list examples of people and groups we don’t discriminate against. We don’t discriminate, full stop. We celebrate.
You'll also get to work with the people in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wORv8J1n0y8