Senior Software Engineer - Content System
Memrise gives people learning superpowers. We aim to help anyone achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few short months. Our product is innovative and fun, and it delivers the goods.
Last year, we won the "App of the Year 2017" at the Google Play Awards. With near zero marketing spend we’ve grown organically to tens of millions of users, and we’re already profitable with a team of around 70, speaking over 40 languages!
We’re now looking to build out our team to take Memrise to the next level. The goal in the coming years is to become the dominant product and pre-eminent brand in global language learning.
To further this, we are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to work on our Content System.
The content system team looks after systems for authoring compelling text, audio and video content that our users will love, in over 20 different languages. Our small team of content system engineers are working tightly with content authors and language specialists to design and implement a brand new implementation of our the next generation of tools. This role will lead that effort end-to-end, in production and across the stack.
This is an opportunity for a great engineer; with leadership skills, to take ownership over projects in a new and technically interesting area of our system. The role offers real autonomy and the potential to solve interesting problems using creative engineering techniques such as natural language processing, and visualisation libraries.
- Lead the end-to-end design of our content system.
- Design, build and maintain services, UIs, and pipelines for publishing and editing text and multimedia content.
- Continuously improve the development, deployment, drafting and testing of the content system.
- Provide technical guidance to engineers in your team and across the organisation.
- Work with other teams to improve the overall quality, scalability, and security of our codebase.
You might be a good fit if you:
- Like being a generalist, owning systems in production, and working across the stack and even across platforms - whatever it takes to make our product even more awesome.
- Have prior experience developing content pipelines and publishing systems.
- Have experience with localization, natural language processing, linguistics, or have good ideas about how it should be done.
- Are a deep, strategic, technical thinker, always looking to improve systems and processes.
- Can quickly put new things together in existing systems, even if they are unfamiliar.
- Place a high value on attention to detail and getting things right the first time.
- Thrive in dynamic, collaborative environments, without a lot of process and procedure holding you back.
- Like the idea of working closely with an extremely diverse bunch of people from many different countries and cultures, speaking many different languages.
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’.
And we're at least as interested in character as in talent.
What’s it like being an engineer at Memrise?
Memrise engineers are creative generalists that work autonomously in product-oriented cross-functional teams. The engineering team is small and dynamic, with an emphasis on ownership, impact and people over processes. We run hackathons every six weeks; some of our prominent features were originally creative hacks.
We have challenging scalability problems to work on, with millions of users per day; machine learning powering real-world, user facing features; big data to process and feed into our adaptive learning algorithms; and smooth, refined user interfaces to build that our users will adore.
On our platform we use, among other things, Python 3, Django, Redis, Redshift, Lambda, and Kubernetes; the frontend code is ES6 written in React/Redux.
Healthcare and pension, with a number of discounts and cashback on important stuff like Gym membership, opticians and dentists' fees. Fresh fruit, coffee and soft drinks. We keep you fuelled with a wide ever-changing variety of healthy and unhealthy snacks, tea, coffee and soft drinks, breakfast materials and weekly team language lunches and lessons. We have frequent team expeditions, the last one being to being a trip to Iceland for a Polyglot Conference and general exploring! We run a cycle to work scheme and a selection of useful perks and benefits.
You'll get to work with the people in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wORv8J1n0y8
Closing date: 30th May 2018
Salary: £75,000 onwards + benefits