Head of Data
Memrise is an award-winning language learning system which combines cognitive science, entertaining content and advanced tech to empower our millions of users with linguistic confidence in just a few months of learning.
We were awarded “Best App of 2017” at Google I/O and featured prominently this year at Apple’s WWDC. We work closely with both Google and Apple and are one of the top go-to developer partners when they launch new features on iOS and Android.
We’re now looking to build out our Engineering capabilities in order to take Memrise to the next level. The goal in the coming years is to become the dominant product and pre-eminent brand in global language learning.
Memrise is not only a hugely exciting mass consumer product (35M+ learners) with all of the data opportunities that that brings, but our data set on language learning is unmatched in the world. You will have the opportunity to design, build and lead a data function that drives the business, informs and directs product improvements, but also that helps push forward knowledge at the frontier of learning science. It is a unique opportunity.
What you'll be be doing;
- Helping to define measurable quarterly and annual goals across the company. Make sure we have the right metrics in place to assess and monitor them.
- Designing, build, mentor and manage the data team
- Ensuring correct methodology of running experiments to answer business questions
- Making sure everyone has the data they need to make decisions, through a self-service data platform (Looker) where possible
- Defining our strategy for creatively applying data science techniques against product and business problems
- Promoting data culture within the company
- Ensuring we spot any issues in the product through data in the shortest possible time frame
- Experience leading and growing data teams of 5 people +
- Past experience working as a senior data analyst / scientist in a consumer digital product at large scale
- Strong ability communicating complex analytical concepts to people without prior relevant knowledge
- Expert knowledge of statistics
- Working experience with SQL
- Knowledge of implementation and evaluation of Machine Learning models
- A fully paid Memrise account, of course
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Team lunches recklessly often
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Tax-free childcare scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- 50% off a PureGym membership
- Private health insurance
- Budget for training, conferences and books
- Flexible working options (timewise, plus we have standing desks)
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: team vacations, painting, meditation, yoga, football, dodgeball, running club, board games, and boxing classes.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. If it’s okay, we’re not going to list examples of people and groups we don’t discriminate against. We don’t discriminate, full stop. We celebrate.
You'll also get to work with the people in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wORv8J1n0y8