Head of Design
Memrise aims to help anyone achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few months. Our product is innovative and fun, and it delivers the goods.
Last year, we won the "App of the Year 2017" at the Google I/O Awards. With near zero marketing spend we’ve grown organically to tens of millions of users, and we’re already profitable with a team of around 70, speaking over 40 languages!
We are looking for a Head of Design to help us grow even bigger and teach millions more people a new language! Your mission will be to turn design into a creative and strategic force inside and outside of Memrise, leading our design vision, strategy, workflow and team structure to supercharge product, growth, and marketing efforts.
Reporting to our CEO, you’ll get to:
- Build an exciting and coherent design vision and strategy
- Oversee design across product, growth, and marketing, ensuring we execute high quality design in an agile, iterative way
- Lead design projects across the entire lifecycle, from ideation to launch
- Line manage and grow a talented and cross-disciplinary design team, including UX/UI, marketing and user acquisition designers
- Establish design standards and processes and maintain consistency across the team
- Collaborate with exec in product, growth, engineering and marketing teams, representing design in company strategy and planning
Ideally you'll have some or all of the following:
- Significant experience managing a cross-disciplinary team of designers
- Significant experience of product design for a large-scale, consumer facing product
- Strong knowledge of visual design, user-centered experience design, paid advertising design, interaction design, brand development, and the creative process.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- Experience building and evolving design systems
- Huge passion for the craft
- Experience with brand redesign projects is a plus
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’.
And we're at least as interested in character as in talent.
Healthcare and pension, with a number of discounts and cashback on important stuff like Gym membership, opticians and dentists' fees. Fresh fruit, coffee and soft drinks. We keep you fuelled with a wide ever-changing variety of healthy and unhealthy snacks, tea, coffee and soft drinks, breakfast materials and weekly team language lunches and language lessons. We have frequent team expeditions, the last one being to being a trip to Iceland for a Polyglot Conference and general exploring! We run a cycle to work scheme and a selection of useful perks and benefits.
You'll get to work with the people in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wORv8J1n0y8
Closing date: 30th May 2018