Memrise is one of the leading education apps in the world, helping millions of people learn a language. We work closely with Apple’s teams, are regularly featured in the App Store and were mentioned in this year’s WWDC Keynote.
We're now looking for an iOS Engineer to join our growing and autonomous iOS team to work on impactful features that will delight millions of people around the world!
Memrise engineers are creative generalists who work autonomously in product-oriented cross-functional teams. The engineering team is small and dynamic, with an emphasis on ownership, impact and people over processes. We run hackathons every six weeks; some of our prominent features were originally creative hacks.
You'll be experienced in iOS app development, with a real passion for making user experience amazing. As we are a language learning app, an interest in languages will score you loads of extra points!
What will you be doing?
- Participating in the ideation of new features, providing valuable insights about best practices and limitations of the iOS platform
- Owning the delivery of small to medium sized features, for which you can set limited technical direction, within your own area of expertise
- Collaborating with product managers and designers in setting realistic timelines that make business sense
- Writing clean, readable and testable code in Swift
- Maintaining and interface with our existing Objective-C code
- Testing your own code and assist QA in understanding your work
- Be proactive about monitoring and fixing bugs
- Keep an open mind and continue growing as a software developer
Ideally we would love for you to have:
- Experience building and maintaining live apps in the App Store.
- A practical, pragmatic and organised approach to development.
- An understanding of how important teamwork is as a project scales.
- Exposure to Agile development processes.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking and communication skills.
- Ability to think in both Swift and Objective-C.
- Experience designing clean and maintainable classes.
- Knowledge of the multithreading options available on iOS.
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch nevertheless. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’. And we're above all just as interested in character as in talent!
- A fully paid Memrise account, of course
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Budget for training, conferences and books
- Flexible working options (time-wise, plus we have standing desks)
- Private health insurance
- Quarterly hackathons
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- 50% off a PureGym membership
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: team vacations, painting, meditation, yoga, football, dodgeball, running club, board games, and boxing classes.
Salary: Starting from £45,000 + benefits
Closing date: 3rd January 2019
We’re an equal opportunity employer. If it’s okay, we’re not going to list examples of people and groups we don’t discriminate against. We don’t discriminate, full stop. We celebrate.