Engineering Manager - DevOps
Memrise gives people learning superpowers. We aim to help anyone achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few short months. Our product is innovative and fun, and it delivers the goods.
Last year, we won the "App of the Year 2017" at the Google Play Awards. With near zero marketing spend we’ve grown organically to tens of millions of users, and we’re already profitable with a team of around 70, from over 30 different nationalities!
With ever increasing traction and a plan to double the engineering team in the next 10 months we are looking for an Engineering Manager to help us build a strong team to scale our continuous integration, automation and infrastructure to support our customers and improve the productivity of engineers across the organisation. This position is a multiplier, leadership role that will be a significant factor in building a strong, productive Engineering Team.
We use the right tool for the job and we always on the lookout for using better tools, whether we build them or buy them. We are heavy users of Docker, Kubernetes and AWS.
Joining the Memrise family in the role of Engineering Manager, you'll be offered the opportunity to support Software Engineers at Memrise by providing a world-class infrastructure for running, testing, deploying and monitoring web and mobile applications at scale; optimising for speed and reliability.
- Experience mentoring engineers at different levels
- Experience managing people
- Experience planning and executing complex technical projects successfully.
- Deep understanding of modern DevOps practices around deployment and monitoring
- Familiarity with tools required for modern software development (CI, testing, deployment)
- Experience with large scale applications
- Experience writing code in Python or similar
- Experience with managing large deployments on AWS
- Experience with Docker and container orchestration systems such as Kubernetes
You might be a good fit if you:
- Manage a team of DevOps Engineers including coaching and team delivery.
- Own the technical strategy of the team.
- Participate in the delivery. This is a hands-on role
- Work closely with the development and QA teams to ensure we’re building the right tools for the job
- Manage the infrastructure (AWS) budget and relationships with 3rd party vendors
- Lead the hiring process for expanding the team
Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’, however we're at least as interested in character as in talent.
What's the Engineering Team like at Memrise?
Memrise engineers are creative generalists that work autonomously in product-oriented cross-functional teams. The engineering team is small and dynamic, with an emphasis on ownership, impact and people over processes. We run hackathons every six weeks; some of our prominent features were originally creative hacks.
We have challenging scalability problems to work on, with millions of users per day; machine learning powering real-world, user facing features; big data to process and feed into our adaptive learning algorithms; and smooth, refined user interfaces to build that our users will adore.
On our platform we use, among other things, Python 3, Django, Redis, Redshift, Lambda, and Kubernetes; the frontend code is ES6 written either with React/Redux or just jQuery.
Healthcare and pension, with a number of discounts and cashback on important stuff like Gym membership, opticians and dentists' fees. Fresh fruit, coffee and soft drinks. We keep you fuelled with a wide ever-changing variety of healthy and unhealthy snacks, tea, coffee and soft drinks, breakfast materials and weekly team language lunches and lessons. We have frequent team expeditions, the last one being to being a trip to Iceland for a Polyglot Conference and general exploring! We run a cycle to work scheme and a selection of useful perks and benefits.
You'll get to work with the people in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wORv8J1n0y8
Salary: £80,000 onwards + benefits