Memrise gives people learning superpowers. We aim to help anyone achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few short months. Our product is innovative and fun, and it delivers the goods.
Last year, we won the "App of the Year 2017" at the Google Play Awards. With near zero marketing spend we’ve grown organically to tens of millions of users, and we’re already profitable with a team of well over 50 (30+ nationalities).
We’re now looking to build out our team to take Memrise to the next level. The goal in the coming years is to become the dominant product and pre-eminent brand in global language learning.
To do the above, we need to ensure that Memrise is the most scientifically rigorous and productive learning company in the world. Hence we are looking for a Learning Scientist to join the team.
Your mission will be to be the driving force of scientific method and understanding to make the Memrise product incredibly effective. You will also manage external partnerships with the broader scientific world to ensure the best thinking comes to Memrise, and Memrise's discoveries and data are shared to the widest possible audience.
Ideally you will have some or more of the following:
- Deep knowledge of cognitive science (and, ideally) the philosophy of mind with knowledge of science of language, memory, perception and how to improve learning
- Extensive experience designing and running experiments in lab conditions (PhD and/or postdoc or similar)
- Advanced skills in data analysis and ideally machine learning
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills, and the ability to explain complex scientific ideas to a wide audience
- Some experience leading a team to collaborate on complex problems
Bonus points for:
- Having managed a laboratory
- Experience and interest in creating deep learning models, plus rich understanding of the creative metaphor this provides for human learning
- Some programming experience
- An interest and knowledge of research methods in the broader cognitive sciences (anthropology etc)
- The ability to speak multiple languages
Healthcare and pension, with a number of discounts and cashback on important stuff like Gym membership, opticians and dentists' fees. We also give you budget and time to learn a language in work hours. The office is stocked with a wide ever-changing variety of healthy and unhealthy snacks, tea, coffee and soft drinks and breakfast materials. We have frequent team expeditions, the last one being to being a trip to Iceland for a Polyglot Conference and general exploring! We run a cycle to work scheme and a selection of useful perks and benefits.
You'll get to work with the people in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wORv8J1n0y8