Software Engineer - Full Stack
Memrise is an award-winning language learning system which combines cognitive science, entertaining content and advanced tech to empower our millions of users with linguistic confidence in just a few months of learning.
We were awarded “Best App of 2017” at Google I/O and featured prominently this year at Apple’s WWDC. We work closely with both Google and Apple and are one of the top go-to developer partners when they launch new features on iOS and Android.
We recently secured Series B funding and have ambitious plans for the future. From growing our user base, to improving our product, there is a lot of work to do to take Memrise to the next level.
To further this, we are looking for a Software Engineer to work in our Tools Squad. The tools squad creates and maintains systems used to run our platform, including our in-house content publishing systems, our experiment platform, and integrations with external tools.You will
- Develop and integrate awesome tools for the technical and creative teams in our studio.
- Continuously improve the quality of our codebase and efficiency of our systems.
- Contribute to the design process and independently deliver clever solutions for difficult problems.
- We’re using React on the frontend, with Redux when things get complicated.
- We’re using Python 3, Django, Kubernetes, Aurora, Redis, ElasticSearch and Kinesis on the backend.
- We practice Continuous Delivery, TDD, trunk based development, and automate everything.
- We’re fans of keeping things as simple as possible and being open minded about new ideas and new technologies
Memrise engineers are creative generalists that work autonomously in product-oriented cross-functional teams. The engineering team is small and dynamic, with an emphasis on ownership, impact and people over processes. We run hackathons every six weeks; some of our prominent features were originally creative hacks.
We have challenging scalability problems to work on, with millions of users per day; machine learning powering real-world, user facing features; big data to process and feed into our adaptive learning algorithms; and smooth, refined user interfaces to build that our users will adore.
You might be a good fit if you
- Have experience working across the stack, frontend and backend. You might consider yourself a generalist.
- Have commercial experience with either Python, React, or both.
- Have good knowledge of the web, including REST, HTTP and web standards.
- Can quickly put new things together in existing systems, even if they are unfamiliar.
- Are really good at communicating with non-technical people.
- Thrive in dynamic, collaborative environments, without a lot of process and procedure holding you back. You are an autonomous problem solver.
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’. And we're at least as interested in character as in talent.
- A fully paid Memrise account, of course
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Regular Hackathons
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Tax-free childcare scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- 50% off a PureGym membership
- Private health insurance
- Budget for training, conferences and books
- Flexible working options (timewise, plus we have standing desks)
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: team vacations, painting, meditation, yoga, football, dodgeball, running club, board games, and boxing classes.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. If it’s okay, we’re not going to list examples of people and groups we don’t discriminate against. We don’t discriminate, full stop. We celebrate.