DevOps Engineer - Infrastructure
Memrise is an award-winning language learning system which combines cognitive science, entertaining content and advanced tech to empower our millions of users with linguistic confidence in just a few months of learning.
We were awarded “Best App of 2017” at Google I/O and featured prominently this year at Apple’s WWDC. We work closely with both Google and Apple and are one of the top go-to developer partners when they launch new features on iOS and Android.
We recently secured Series B funding and have ambitious plans for the future. From growing our user base, to improving our product, there is a lot of work to do to take Memrise to the next level. This is where you fit in! We're looking for Junior and Midweight level DevOps Engineers to help us keep Memrise reliable, fast and secure whilst we fulfil our mission.
Memrise is growing, and our infrastructure team needs to grow with it. We already have a stable system that supports our users and our development team, but we want to do more.
This is an opportunity to work on interesting infrastructure projects using Cloud Native technology, supported by senior SREs with experience from Google and Cloudflare.
Whether you are an SRE, in DevOps, or a backend engineer who cares about how their code runs in production, we are interested in talking to you.
In this role you will:
- Ensure the continued health of Memrise code running in production
- Promote good production practices among Memrise’s backend engineers
- Automating workflows to make them more accessible and robust
- Participate in on-call rota
- Contribute to platform code-base (even though primary focus is infrastructure projects)
We're looking for someone with:
- Excellent Python skills
- Excellent understanding of modern DevOps / SRE practices
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to get things done quickly and correctly even in unfamiliar areas
- Comfortable using Git and GitHub for day-to-day work
Bonus points for:
- Experience owning, debugging, running, monitoring, and improving production systems
- Experience with containers and container orchestration systems, especially Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with declarative configuration management systems, such as Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, or Chef
- Experience establishing and maintaining continuous integration systems, such as Jenkins
- Experience working with relational databases, such as MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Experience managing AWS services and configuring them
Salary range: £30,000 - £70,000 (DOE)
- A fully paid Memrise account, of course
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Budget for training, conferences and books
- Flexible working options (time-wise, plus we have standing desks)
- Private health insurance
- Quarterly hackathons
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- 50% off Virgin Active or Nuffield Health Gym memberships
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: team vacations, painting, meditation, yoga, football, dodgeball, running club, board games, and boxing classes.