Senior Android Engineer
Memrise is an award-winning language learning system which combines cognitive science, entertaining content and advanced tech to empower our millions of users with linguistic confidence in just a few months of learning.
We were awarded “Best App of 2017” at Google I/O and featured prominently this year at Apple’s WWDC. We work closely with both Google and Apple and are one of the top go-to developer partners when they launch new features on iOS and Android.
With ever growing traction, a strong business model and plans to double the engineering team in the next year following, we are looking for a Senior Android Engineer to help make Memrise the number one learning app in the Play store.
With 99.6% crash-free users, you won’t spend time on maintenance but will focus on building new features. We work in cross functional squads, which means you will be able to have a real impact on what we’re building and influence the product with your ideas. Technically, our codebase is 5 years old but with strong foundations that we have total ownership of; our minSdk is 21, we use dagger2, Retrofit2, RxJava and we are moving to Kotlin in both unit tests and features.
Ideally you will have some or all of the following:
- A deep understanding of the Android platform and best practices
- Commercial experience with Unit tests/Espresso tests
- A belief in clean code and SOLID principles
- Strong software architect, well versed in design patterns (worked with MVP, or MVVM and know the benefits of each. Uses Repositories and Factories patterns)
- Experience of the development process in a high-scale team
- Experience working closely with Product Managers, Designers, other development teams, and QA teams
- Experience estimating work, planning, organising and implementing complex software projects
- Capable of taking substantial features from concept to shipping as the sole programmer
- Experience working on an app with a large user base (at least 1 million)
- Experience working with other Senior Android Developers and reviewing pull requests
- Good communication skills
Bonus points for:
- Familiarity with RxJava and Dagger2
- An interest in languages and learning
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’. And we're at least as interested in character as in talent.
We can sponsor visas for this role, so please don't let distance and nationality stop you from applying.
- A fully paid Memrise account, of course
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Team lunches recklessly often
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Tax-free childcare scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- 50% off a PureGym membership
- Private health insurance
- Budget for training, conferences and books
- Flexible working options (timewise, plus we have standing desks)
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: team vacations, painting, meditation, yoga, football, dodgeball, running club, board games, and boxing classes.
- But most importantly, you'll get to work with the people in this video.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. If it’s okay, we’re not going to list examples of people and groups we don’t discriminate against. We don’t discriminate, full stop. We celebrate.
Salary: Competitive + benefits + share options
Closing date: October 3rd 2018
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!