Senior DevOps Engineer
Memrise gives people learning superpowers. We aim to help anyone achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few short months. Our product is innovative and fun, and it delivers the goods.
We were awarded “Best App of 2017” at Google I/O and featured prominently last year at Apple’s WWDC. We work closely with both Google and Apple and are one of the top go-to developer partners when they launch new features on iOS and Android.
We’re now looking to build out our data engineering team to take Memrise to the next level - making better use of our data is essential if we are to make the world’s most entertaining learning application. Every day we collect tens of millions of events, and we’re looking to improve our data model to account for complex linguistic properties, improve user personalisation and introduce predictive modelling. We are also focusing on enhancing data quality using automated monitoring and alerts. This role will encompass all of the above, as well as being responsible for extending our data model with new sources and improved tooling.
Your mission will be to take the strategic lead of the data engineering function. This means ensuring our data systems are robust and flexible to future requirements, anticipating and implementing changes ahead of when they are needed. The team you will work with is tight-knit, and you’ll benefit from a high degree of autonomy across our entire data stack.
What might you be doing day to day?
- Building and deploying systems to monitor data quality, and tracking errors to proactively detect issues
- Ensuring all data systems are in good health (Redshift, Looker, Airflow)
- Making sure all Memrise’s transactional, statistical and 3rd party data (marketing, attribution) is available for analysis in a timely manner
- Improving operational practices around Memrise’s data pipelines to be in line with industry best practice
- Leading efforts to integrate existing data (Segment) with additional third-party systems
- Working with infrastructure and product engineering teams to design, implement, and run our new learning systems
- Equipping our data and insights teams with the tools and infrastructure they need to produce reports and perform ad hoc analysis
Ideally you will have some or all of the following:
- Excellent Python skills
- Excellent understanding of modern DevOps / SRE
- Good architectural knowledge of AWS data stores
- Ability to get things done quickly and correctly even in unfamiliar areas
- Experience owning, debugging, and improving production systems
Bonus points for:
- Experience in designing and managing data pipelines with diverse sources and billions of events
- Good architectural knowledge of Redshift and AWS
- Strong experience of writing performant SQL
- Experience working with a modern ETL framework such as Airflow or similar
- Experience deploying Machine Learning models.
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch nevertheless. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’. And we're above all just as interested in character as in talent!
• Location: London
• Closing date: 10th June 2019
• Salary - From £70,000 - £85,000
- A fully paid Memrise account, of course
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Budget for training, conferences and books
- Flexible working options (time-wise, plus we have standing desks)
- Private health insurance
- Quarterly hackathons
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- 50% off a PureGym membership
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: team vacations, painting, meditation, yoga, football, dodgeball, running club, board games, and boxing classes.