Lead Product Designer
Memrise is an award-winning language learning system which combines cognitive science, entertaining content and advanced tech to empower our millions of users with linguistic confidence in just a few months of learning.
We were awarded “Best App of 2017” at Google I/O and featured prominently this year at Apple’s WWDC. We work closely with both Google and Apple and are one of the top go-to developer partners when they launch new features on iOS and Android.
Last year we secured Series B funding and have ambitious plans for the future. From growing our user base, to improving our product, there is a lot of work to do to take Memrise to the next level.
Our goal is to become the world’s most entertaining learning app, and to achieve this we need a Lead Product Designer to join our Engagement squad and design bold, playful and empathetic experiences that help drive engagement with Memrise.
In this job you will
- Help our users build a daily language-learning habit through clear prompts, context and rewards.
- Ensure our users stay motivated towards achieving their goals through, for example, a clear sense of progress.
- Design stunning experiences across the whole product lifecycle from inception to launch and beyond; balancing work on new features and iteratively improving existing experiences for iOS and Android.
- Uphold and elevate design quality standards across Memrise by being an active member of the design team; offer constructive feedback at design critiques and contribute to the wider design culture.
Your team and colleagues
You'll be joining the Engagement Squad, a cross-functional squad of Designers, QA Analysts and Engineers led by a Product Manager. You'll also be collaborating closely with theMemrise Design Team, a dynamic team of (currently) 15 designers, spread across the following roles: Product Designers, Communication Designers, UX Researchers, and Systems Designers (working across Games, Content and Learning Experiences). The Design team works across both product and marketing.
This role reports into a Product Design Manager (who in turn reports to the Head of Design who reports into the CEO).
- Your exceptional interaction and information design skills allows you to deliver at all levels of conceptual scale from strategy to structure and surface details.
- You have good knowledge of information architecture principles.
- You have exceptional knowledge of behavioural psychology principles.
- You have a passion for prototyping.
- You are keen to connect with our users to understand the motivations behind their behaviours.
- You can balance tech, business and human needs and then eloquently and persuasively articulate your rationale to others; equally comfortable explaining your work to senior management as you are to other designers.
- You are a maker and prefer delivery over perfection.
- You’re passionate about design and endlessly curious. Your craving to learn new things is only outweighed by your urge to share your knowledge with others. You’re naturally observant and that awareness means you’re forever spotting ways to improve the world around you.
- You have strong ethics - you know the difference between persuasion and manipulation.
- You’re able to work on a couple of things at the same time, whilst also dipping into other streams of work to provide advice and critique.
- You’re friendly, humble and approachable. You have the courage and principles to back your designs whilst also be able to take onboard contrary evidence. In short, you have strong opinions, weakly held. You’re naturally very open and actively enjoy getting critique that improves your work.
- Specific experience of designing B2C mobile app products.
- Experience creating new products and iterating existing ones.
Bonus points for
- Experience of designing habitual apps or education experience would be lovely.
- An interest in and passion for beautiful motion design.
- Passion for languages and creating new ways to learn them.
- Experience working in a start-up or scale-up environment.
- You love games – who doesn’t?
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’. And we're just as interested in character as in talent.
• Location: London
• Closing date: 4th April 2019
• Salary - Starting from £65,000 + benefits
A fully paid Memrise account, of course
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Regular Hackathons
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Tax-free childcare scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- 50% off a PureGym membership
- Private health insurance
- Generous learning and development budget for training, conferences and books, plus learning and development leave
- Flexible working options (timewise, plus we have standing desks)
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: team vacations, painting, meditation, yoga, football, dodgeball, running club, board games, and boxing classes.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. If it’s okay, we’re not going to list examples of people and groups we don’t discriminate against. We don’t discriminate, full stop. We celebrate.