Software Engineer - Frontend
Memrise is an award-winning language learning system which combines cognitive science, entertaining content and advanced tech to empower millions of users with linguistic confidence in just a few months of learning.
We were awarded “Best App of 2017” at Google I/O and featured prominently this year at Apple’s WWDC.
Last year we secured Series B funding and we've been working on exciting new developments that will shape how our brand and products will look in the future. This is where you fit in. We are looking for a Frontend Software Engineer to join the team and help us create fast and responsive web interfaces that will delight millions of people. This roles gives a unique opportunity to play a significant part in reshaping our web product with a fresher, more exciting design and will allow you to stretch your skills thanks to the interesting technical challenges that will come with this.
Being a part of a small, focused team, you will be working closely with other engineers, a designer and a product manager towards both improving the existing experiences and building new ones.
- Develop user interfaces of our web products (mostly Memrise, with a splash of Decks).
- Work with designers and be involved in the early stages of the design process.
- Help shape our design system, and improve the quality of our frontend code.
- We’re using React for web frontend, with Next.js to serve those page universally.
- On the backend we’re using Python 3, Django, Kubernetes, Aurora, Redis, ElasticSearch and Kinesis.
- We practice Continuous Delivery, TDD, trunk based development, and automate everything.
- We’re fans of keeping things as simple as possible and being open minded about new ideas and new technologies.
What’s it like being an engineer at Memrise?
Memrise engineers are creative generalists that work autonomously in product-oriented cross-functional teams. The engineering team is small and dynamic, with an emphasis on ownership, impact and people over processes. We run hackathons every six weeks; some of our prominent features were originally creative hacks.
We have smooth, refined user interfaces to build that our users will adore; a fun, varied game-like core to our experience, which we’re iterating playfully; the challenges of meeting the needs of millions of users per day from across the world; and the big data to process and feed into our adaptive learning algorithms.
You might be a good fit if you
- Build usable web interfaces that form great product experiences.
- Have experience with React, or similar modern frontend libraries such as Angular, Vue.js
- Are comfortable making responsive, accessible and cross-browser code.
- Have an interest in and passion for design and UX.
- Thrive in dynamic, collaborative environments, without a lot of process and procedure holding you back. You are an autonomous problem solver.
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’. And we're at least as interested in character as in talent.
A fully paid Memrise account, of course
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Budget for training, conferences and books
- Flexible working options (time-wise, plus we have standing desks)
- Private health insurance
- Quarterly hackathons
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- 50% off a PureGym membership
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: team vacations, painting, meditation, yoga, football, dodgeball, running club, board games, and boxing classes.