Memrise is an award-winning language learning system which combines cognitive science, entertaining content and advanced tech to empower millions of users with linguistic confidence in just a few months of learning.
We were awarded “Best App of 2017” at Google I/O and featured prominently this year at Apple’s WWDC.
Last year we secured Series B funding and we've been working on exciting new developments that will shape how our brand and products will look in the future. This is where you fit in. We're looking for a Data Scientist to perform research and development of Machine Learning models powering our language learning technology.
This is a rare opportunity for an ML expert to apply their knowledge to novel problems in the language learning space. We have projects lined up in Speech Processing, Learning Optimisation, and Natural Language Processing.
You'd be joining the learning technology team, which is small, autonomous, and well-resourced. It works directly with the CEO and CTO, and is key to the company’s success. You'll be the first hire of your kind, which means you'll have a huge impact on both the learning experience of millions of our users, and on the technical culture of the team.
In this role you will:
- Develop prototype ML models that power user facing product features
- Assist ML engineers implementing and maintaining the ML models in production
- Identify new product opportunities based on ML best practices, platforms and tools to use for working with ML at memrise
We're looking for someone with:
- Significant commercial experience (2+ years) in research and development using Machine Learning
- A PhD or Masters by Research with a research topic in ML
- Deep knowledge of current state of the art techniques in applied Deep Learning, especially natural language processing and speech processing.
- Experience with machine learning libraries such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, or similar.
- Expertise in statistical analysis.
- Strong general mathematical skills.
- Strong programming skills in Python and SQL.
If you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch immediately. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’. And we're at least as interested in character as in talent.
A fully paid Memrise account, of course
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Budget for training, conferences and books
- Flexible working options (time-wise, plus we have standing desks)
- Private health insurance
- Quarterly hackathons
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- 50% off a PureGym membership
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: team vacations, painting, meditation, yoga, football, dodgeball, running club, board games, and boxing classes.